Tuesday, July 20, 2010

new bloom

I have multiple of these lilies, Specie Lily Scarlet Delight, and one has started to bloom. These are one of the first flowers that caught my eye when I was browsing through catalogs. They help add vibrant spots of color in an other wise baking July garden.

They look similar to Stargazer lilies except they have lime green throats and can reach up to 8 feet tall. Most of these lilies in my garden are reaching 5 feet tall and have to be supported with 1 inch dowels or they droop to the ground.

If you're interested in these gorgeous blooms the only place I have found them is at dutchbulbs.com but be warned that they aren't that cheap. You only get 3 for $15 plus shipping and handling, but they do produce a ton of blooms on one plant once they mature (some of my lilies are only 2 years old and have over 20 buds ready to bloom)  and they divide like all bulb plants over time. 

Any day now I should have blooms on my peacock ground cover and my dahlias.

No comments:

Post a Comment