Monday, July 26, 2010

Birdah! *say like how Bambi says bird*

So I want some of these:
Cute little zebra finches

One teeny tiny problem, I am deathly terrified of birds.

This fear all started years ago when I was asked to check on our neighbor's pets while they were out of town. They have a whole zoo of animals, two rabbits, a dog, some fish, 4 finches and a parakeet. All was going fine and dandy then I walked into the little girl's room to check on her parakeet. The minute I walk into her room I was dive bombed. I shriek, run to the corner to hide and to figure out what tried to kill  me. Perched merrily on her foot board is a little blue and green parakeet, she lets it fly free in her room I guess. To get to the birds cage I'd have to pass the bird, but whenever I moved the parakeet would take off flying and try to land on me. I was pretty sure it was trying to peck my brains out.
I finally got to the cage but it took me 20 minutes and I had to crawl the whole way so I wouldn't make the bird fly.

Because of this first negative experience with a bird I never fully gained trust of birds. I went to the zoo with my mom and her pre-schoolers when I was in 8th grade, but to preserve my dignity we'll say I was in 5th or 6th grade. The zoo had changed my loved butterfly house to a bird exhibit where you can purchase a popsicle stick with bird seed glued to it for an unremembered amount of change. All the pre-schoolers were taking sticks and I didn't want to look like a big wussy so I bought one too.
"Okay" I thought, "This isn't too bad...." as one fat dove landed on my stick to eat. "I can handle this, try to look like you're having fun. Get that look of terror off your face..."
Then another fat bird landed on my stick, but since the stick is only wide enough for one bird, the bird landed on my hand. I screamed bloody murder, dropped the stick and did the "get that thing out of my hair" dance. Everything got quiet and everyone turned to look at me, even the birds turned their little bird necks to stare at the freak.
I was then asked by one of the zoo employees to not scream, it scares the birds. SCARES THE BIRDS!?!?! WHAT ABOUT MY FRAGILE LIFE?!?!? IT ALMOST CAME TO A SCREECHING HALT NOT MOMENTS AGO!!!
I then pretended like I didn't just embarrass myself in a room full of strangers and walked around the exhibit trying not to get pooped on.

See, so I have a dilemma. I want a pair of cute finches and the good news is that they aren't really social with humans so I wouldn't have to hold them or anything but what if they get out of their cage while I'm changing their water of something. I'm pretty sure I would have a meltdown and have to be put in a crazy house.

I need to find away around this bird fear....I also want chickens but that's a whole other ball game.

1 comment:

  1. if you really want some you can buy a kind of bird cage that you just slide up a little door to pull the water tray out and the bottom slides out and everything to change the paper etc... check out bird cages before seriously considering a bird. You may not like them but I know Sophie will LOVE them. And plus side... if they et out, Sophie will eat them

    ReplyDelete