Thursday, June 3, 2010

The epic journey of our basement part 1

Want to see a picture of what our family room looks like right now? I bet you do! well here it is...be prepared that it's very frightening!
I'm not sure why all our home projects mean tear out the ceiling but they do, so we did. Another hole. This one will be filled again but not finished. Eventually the whole ceiling will be torn out to replace the crappy lights, awful texture and put in surround sound. This will hopefully be next year but we have to save our pennies for a good surround sound system so until then we'll get to look at unfinished sheetrock. How luxurious.

So I think my true calling in life is to be an electrician. I really do enjoy running wires and putting in outlets, it's like a puzzle but I know where all the pieces go. The one thing I do hate though is pig tailing, if you dont know what pig tailing is all you need to know is that it's of the devil. You have to twist multiple wires together and then stick a wire nut on them. Easier said than done.
It took me a good while to get the stupid black wires pig tailed and once I did John came over and yanked on one of the wires, pulled it out of the wire nut and then starred at me. With lips pursed together and eyes glaring I said, "Well if you didn't Incredible Hulk it out it would still be in there!"
See the wires are suppose to STAY in the wire nut and that one would have it John hadn't super human strengthed it out!
He then left to let me fix his super power moment while I mumbled to myself about how stupid pig tailing is and how it might have only caused a little house fire. Did I also mention that I stuck my tongue out at him? Well I did.

After the pig tailing adventure (I told John that we should have left the socket out of the wall so I could show everyone how wonderful I am, he didn't agree) We ran wires from where the light for the "dry" bar is going to be (top left corner in above picture) to the old light socket.

This is the new wiring and new special light switches with glider dimmer things, please ignore the fact that they are hanging out of the wall. They don't fit in the box we bought so it's off to Lowe's again.
I'm not particularly in love with the placement of the light boxes but after John's battle with the old box and mutilating the wall, I wasn't about to say, "So about the box placement..." and have his wrath rain down upon me. I just kept my mouth shut and let him stick it where ever the crap he wanted it.

And now the journey of Sophi in front of a pile of crap. You might have to click on it to actually see whats going on. Notice how she stops to investigate something on the wall. She's always a big help with our projects, carrying off screws and lying on top of what we need.

In other news I want to say a big congrats to my high school bestie who had her baby early yesterday morning. If I believed in procreating I'd want a baby as cute as her little son. *insert picture of cutest baby you've ever seen here, I dont want to put his picture up here without her permission*
Her and her hubby will make great parents and of course I'll make a great auntie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment