Monday, June 7, 2010

busy hot weekend, epic journey part 2

This weekend was busy with projects.
First off my sister graduated from high school on Friday (Congratulations!) so we attended that and went to lunch with the fam after.

I bought some gorgeous flowers that evening for the backyard and a couple for the front. It was a nice night to plant and I really enjoyed my time in the dirt. Most of my flowers are bloomed so I'll have to put some pictures up.
No basement work was done Friday night since John had to replace the swamp cooler's water line that the dogs destroyed or else we might have died of heat stroke.

Saturday morning I let the dogs out in the backyard and an hour later I checked on them. Makoa had chewed up the water line again (thrilling John to pieces) and had started on the TV cable line.
We had to find a cure for this behavior since we cant be out supervising the dogs the whole time and they're spending more and more time in the backyard alone while we do work in the basement.
Our solution, Chicken wire. It looks appalling but so far seems to be doing it's job. Makoa hasn't tried to chew anything it's wrapped around yet, well see if it'll hold.
We also took the day off from the basement and went to see Robin Hood. Good movie, Russel Crowe is dreamy.

I'm not sure how John can talk me into these things, he makes these points and at the time I think, "Wow! That's brilliant!" and let him do whatever he wants.
So now our whole basement ceiling is gone, I'm still not sure why...
John decided that he wanted to rearrange the furniture in the basement so the cable line had to be moved so the ceiling had to come out. I know I'm baffled too.


So now my family room resembles how it did when we first moved in minus all the crap shoved to one side of the room and the scattering of dog toys.
On the plus side we can get all new lighting now. :) bad side is we have to look at unfinished sheetrock for who knows how long.
So if you need ideas for my birthday coming up, you can ease our suffering by buying a gift card to Lowe's (while there say it's for the Voshell's, they'll know who we are ;)) or a gift card to Best Buy. Yes I just advertised my birthday on my blog, but can you blame me?

John tore down the ceiling Sunday while I hauled the sheetrock out to his truck. It was hot, sweaty, dusty, stinky work.
Then came the hard stuff that I couldn't really help with without being in the way.
We want the fish tank on it's own breaker because it will use up SOOO much electricity and we dont want to trip the breaker every time I vacuum. We had an empty 30 amp breaker so John changed it to two 20 amps. That was the easy part. To get the "fish" wire to the breaker box he had to take the breaker box out of the wall meaning that all power had to be cut and all wires had to be taken out. Getting the wire the the breaker box was the easy part, John fished it up the wall and I grabbed the end when it finally poked through. Putting the breaker box back into the wall was the hard part. It took John an hour and a half. Since I didn't have anything to do (couldn't help John, lap top had died, power was off so couldn't make dinner) I sat outside with the dogs and ate popsicles.
We were without power for a good 3 working hours (more if you count the trips to Lowe's and the grocery store).

Finally when everything was back in place and the power was back on we ran the wire to the future fish tank's home and put in one double socket.
That's as far as we got this weekend. This week's goals is the get electrical all done, Reverse Osmosis filter in (another could-be-hard project) and cabinets installed.
Let's hope we can get it all done since this weekend John will be incapacitated since he's running is half marathon Saturday morning. Cross your fingers for us!

On a side note I apologize for everything I write turning into a novel.

2 comments:

  1. your pets are super precious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I do enjoy them when they're not being stupid and destroying my house and everything I own.

    ReplyDelete