Tuesday, June 15, 2010

BBQ beef brisket

I love using my slow cooker and I've been trying to use it a couple times a week to make dinner easier. Yesterday was BBQ beef brisket and it was delish!

Ingredients
1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
3 pounds beef brisket, trimmed of fat (unless you're lazy like me, then I just put it in fat side up and scrap it off when it's done cooking)
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring (dont have liquid smoke so I used more BBQ sauce)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 cups barbeque sauce

Directions
1.Combine thyme, paprika, pepper, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, and cumin in a small bowl; set aside. Rub brisket all over with liquid smoke, then rub with spice mixture.
2.Pour Worcestershire and barbeque sauces into a slow cooker; place beef on top. Cover, and cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours, until fork tender.

I cut the brisket in half and marinated it over night in the rub, a little BBQ sauce, and John's grandmother's homemade chili sauce. When I got home I could smell it cooking before I even opened the garage door.

This morning hasn't been that great. My allergies are kicking my butt so I didn't sleep well, I had to rush call a payment that was due two days ago that I asked John to pay but never got done (I dont know why I even asked him, if I wasn't around nothing would get paid) and when I tried to put some baked potato soup in the crock pot everything was going against me.
We had no milk for the soup so I grabbed a can of evaporated milk. When I started pouring it in (trying not to drop my cell phone in the pot while the lady on the other end had me repeat my account number for the 5th time) it was lumpy. "Oh crap!" I thought and looked at the expiration date. October of 2007, dang.
Looks like I'll be running to the store after work to get more milk, totally defeating the convince of the crock pot.

But I hope this brisket gets you in the mood for summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment