Monday, June 14, 2010

Early morning marathon

Saturday mornings are made for sleeping in but I found myself waking up at 3 AM to drive John to Provo to run his half marathon.
Little Enna was being so cute, following me around and licking my foot when I stopped walking, so she had to tag along with us.

We picked up John's mom, stopped to get gas (not an easy task in Magna in the early morning hours) and headed off to Happy Valley.
John was dropped off at 4:30 AM to catch a bus to head up the canyon, my mother-in-law, Enna and I parked John's truck and tucked ourselves in for the long haul.
We chatted about everything and everything and then caught some Z's while we waited for 7:00 AM to roll around, John's estimated finish time.

We watched the first runner come in at a little after 7, he missed the final turn and someone had to go catch him :)
After a few more runners came by we headed out into the soggy weather to wait for John.
Enna thought it was great fun that everyone was running by her and would wag her tail at each participant. Her way of saying, "Your almost done! Keep it up!"

While waiting we talked of the beautiful cloud formations surrounding the mountains, I had to preserve the memory so I took a few shots. Nothing spectacular since I didn't want to run though the puddles to find a better location.

We also got a kick out of seeing who was practically dying and who looked like they were out for a leisurely stroll.

I'd like to say is was around 7:20 when John came into view, but I'm not sure since I didn't check a clock.
We shot some pictures and cheered him on.


We then headed off to the finish line to see him cross but he finished before we got there. I then stood around doing my normal thing when I have Enna (no she's not a puppy, yes she's full grown, yes she was a lot of money, no we dont have a miniature sled, blah blah blah) waiting for John to turn in his running chip and gather his stuff.

John finished the run in an hour and 52 minutes but they haven't posted where he placed in the race yet.
He did really well and now he's training for the full marathon on the 24th of July.

2 comments:

  1. Yay!! Go John! Was this just for fun? That's awesome. Not my kind of fun, but horray for John!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was just for fun because he's crazy. There's no way I'll ever be running with him.

    ReplyDelete