Wednesday, February 10, 2010

grow my pretties, grow!

This is the time in Winter when I get depressed. It's still bitter cold out, we hardly get any snow and the spring flowers haven't decided it's warm enough to come out of the ground. So to help with my winter blues I planted flowers indoors! I needed some green to brighten my mood!
Of course I cant be like any other normal person and buy seeds at the store, no way, that would be too easy! So I bought some on amazon.com and got some amazing deals and some cool flowers.

These little sprouts are Cosmos.

I didn't buy them, they were given to me as an incentive to buy more crap out of a gardening magazine.

Cosmos are Annuals, meaning that they wont come back next year, and they supposedly grow 3 - 6 feet tall.

These Little guys are Deep Red Pincushion flowers.

I have some purple ones in my garden now and I love them! I'm told that these are annuals but I'm crossing my fingers that they'll come back next year! They grow 30 inches tall and bloom from summer to fall.
The small portion after the white stick are Blanket Flowers. I got some live plant Blanket Flowers last year, but because my garden is used as the neighborhood litter box (something I'm trying to fix!) they didn't survive. So I went with seeds this time, they seem to be doing well so lets hope they do well once moved to the garden.
They're a perennial, meaning they'll come back yearly, and grow 18 - 36 inches tall.
These next fellas haven't decided that it's cool to grow yet, but they're Clematis.

Two kinds to be exact, a Blue Bird macropetala Clematis and a Vanilla Scented Clematis. They're both perennials and a vining flower. I want to put them on a grid that I'm wrapping around the drain pipe on the house and around the mail box once we get the sprinkling system put in. I'm mixing the two together because the Blue bird blooms from June through September and the Vanilla is June through July.
The ones that are sprouting are more Blanket Flowers.





Some other flowers seeds I have but haven't planted yet are:
Dahlias - 16 to 20 inches and an annual

Drama Queen Poppies - 2 - 3 feet and a re-seeding annual, I hope that means I'll have them in my garden next year, they're such striking flowers!

I was also given 50 seeds of a mix of poppies as a free gift, I'm not sure what I'll do with them, but I believe they're annuals also.

I will have flowers coming out my ears soon so when the time comes I'll sell the ones that I don't plant.
If anyone is interested in buying any of the flowers above, let me know! I'm thinking I'll sell them for $3 - $5.

No comments:

Post a Comment