Wednesday, December 1, 2010

John learns how to work the internet

We FINALLY got the money to replace our stolen items this last week so we've been trying to replace everything as quickly as possible before we use the money for something else (that's what happened last time).

Usually when a computer is involved I take over. John is a REALLY slow typer and usually doesn't know where to go. I had already started a spread sheet with some of my jewelry: what we're replacing it with, how much it will cost to replace, how much we were given and if we lose money on the purchase or come out on top so I thanked myself under my breath.
When we got down to the nitty gritty John placed himself in front of the computer and so a squabble wouldn't start about his lack of computer skills, I let him continue sitting there knowing that everything would take twice as long.

I read off the list of stolen items, cost of items and how much given from our Allstate letter to John and tried to hold in my rage while he slowly typed it into our spread sheet. We then decided if we were replacing it, what we were replacing it with and searched the Internet for the cost of the item. This is were my patience ran thin because I'd have to tell John "click that, hover over that...no don't click it! Okay click the back button, hover this time, click on that..." it takes a long time. But we got it done.

John also learned how to use my favorite website, Amazon, which was pretty funny. I showed him where you click once you decide you want to buy something and he got very immersed in the process. Checking how much something will be after shipping took longer with him doing it because he had to check EVERY price :) but at least he was thorough. Then I made the mistake of mentioning to glance at the sellers approval rating to make sure you'll actually get the item. John thought this was awesome and took it to extremes. Usually I just glance at it and make sure it's above 90%, John had to click on each person to see how long they've been selling on Amazon and then read some reviews to make sure all were positive, again thorough :).

We have replaced 95% of our belongings now, most online and some in store. Some of the stuff we replaced with other items, like our wii has become an xbox360 kinect (that we ordered online so it hasn't come yet), jewelry with different styles and perfume with different smells (on a side note, I own 18 bottles of perfume and I didn't replace all my stolen perfumes. What can I say, I'm a connoisseur of scent P.S. Usher UR and DKNY Be Delicious Fresh Blossom are amazing!).
It's going to be like Christmas when everything starts showing up! I'm the most excited for my replacement Tanzanite earrings, Alexandrite pendant, lime green lop top (thanks Dad!) and xbox (mostly so I can start watching Netflix again).

P.S. John's computer skills or lack there of and his immense interest in Amazon stays between us. You don't want to hurt his feelings do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment