Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas decor

I know it's after Christmas but I'm just getting around do doing this.

Christmas was pretty pitiful at our house this year, I wasn't in the decorating spirit because I knew I'd have to put everything away and I thought I'd have Enna's pups keeping me busy right around the time everything was coming down.

This was our Christmas tree this year, okay not really, that's a house plant that sits there year round. A Christmas tree sounded like a nightmare to me this year.
It always becomes a cat tree for Sophi and we usually end up picking it up 3 times and always fixing slouching "sophi nap spot" branches through out the season, I just didn't want to deal with it. Also John and I don't exchange gifts and gifts don't get put under the tree since Sophi rips off the paper so there was really no point to set one up. Yeah, I was feeling pretty grinchy this year.

This is my Martha Stewart moment. This is where I've hung cards for the past two Christmas seasons because I'm a freaking genius. Normally the ribbon goes all the way to the floor, but Sophi loves to rip it to shreds.
I use little push pins to hang the ribbon on the walls and then hot glue the bow onto one of the push pins. It's like a pretty present.
Then I bought the cutest, teeny, tiniest clothes pins and hang the cards on the ribbon. Again, I'm a freaking genius.
My sadly decorated fireplace. I didn't want to hang stockings because it would have just been Sophi's and mine. I haven't finished John's yet even though I've been working on it for 3 years now. I remember I have it in October, work really have on it until December and then put it away until the next October. I WILL finish it for next Christmas, along with the dogs.
P.s. I still hate this fireplace so much. I can't wait until we remodel it.
You didn't know that Jesus only had angels come visit him, did you? Well in my nativity that is the case. I just barely started collecting the pieces from the precious moments mini nativity and I didn't add to it this year. The pieces are hard to find since they're the ones that are only 2.5 inches tall. Eventually I'll have the whole set and actually make it cute instead of just setting it out.
There was also a 2008 Ballet West special edition nutcracker on the corner of this table, but Sophi knocked it off and broke it in half. Hence the shock mat.
As you can see, Sophi is like the Christmas destroyer. She swoops down like a Tie Fighter (Star Wars reference) and blasts the crap out of all my nice things. Why do I own a cat again?

Christmas lights weren't meant for us this year. The snow came too early and ruined our day after Thanksgiving tradition of putting up lights. We'll now be moving our tradition to October so we can get everything done. Also our blow up Frosty was put out but two weeks later he mysteriously "popped" (I think the neighbor kids popped him) so I put him away.
As you can see there is a space in our sidewalk lights, that is a burned out light. Three sidewalk lights have burned out this year, John replaced two and then the third one burned out and we said screw it.

What lights area missing this year: the whole tree, our blow up Christmas ornaments and Frosty.
What lights we added this year: around the door, the icicles, and inner door window lights that I didn't turn on for this picture. We bought more tree lights, but as you know, they didn't go up.
What lights we're planning for next year: net lights for our fence and big bush, lights for the pitch of our roof and chimney and possible mailbox lights.

So there you have it, our not so festive Christmas decor that will probably be taken down this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment