Thursday, December 16, 2010

I really might this time

Remember how like two years ago I said I was going back to school and didn't? Well this time I'm a little more serious about it.
I wouldn't say I love my job, it pays the bills and is alright, but they want us to make 5 year plans on how we'll move in the company and I just don't see myself staying in the science world. I'm just not smart enough, they start explaining tests to me and I nod my head like I understand, but really I'm thinking, "I have no idea what you're talking about, but if I nod then maybe you'll stop talking." (It's okay for me to talk about work, my blog's private :) )

So this got me thinking that I really should get into my creative side again and do what I love. I went to SLCC to speak with a counselor on how to get my credits to transfer and what classes I would need to take to either finish my associate of art or start a new degree in interior design. Worst experience of my life.
First off, parking at SLCC is a joke and I always feel stressed when I don’t really know where I’m going. Second, I had made an appointment with a counselor but I still had to wait 15 minutes to see one. Then the counselor was so unhelpful, all she did was print out the course description, throw it at me and sent me to talk to admissions.

Then before I left I realized that John had grabbed my wallet in the morning and didn’t put it back so I had no money to pay for parking or buy my lunch. Luckily the parking guy was really nice and let me leave but I still left feeling depressed and not excited to start school.

When I got back to work I explained to co-workers how disappointed my trip went and then it turned into how I just can’t seem to function in a “real” school since my creative brain gets bored. One girl suggested the Art Institute, I had thought about that school but in my mind I just kept thinking it wasn’t a good school and how no one would want to hire me if I went there, but I called the school anyway.
They put me on the phone with the interior design department and the lady talked with me for 45 minutes about my interests, my schooling, my hobbies. It was so nice! I actually felt like someone cared if I joined their school! I scheduled an appointment for John and I to go meet with them in person and take a tour of the campus.

Besides being 20 minutes late for our appointment it went really well. I asked (but made sure to put it as nicely as possible) if I’d be taken seriously with a degree from them and the guy told me that 91% of their students graduate and are working in their chosen field within 6 months. Also 21 students graduated from the Nevada location with a I.D. degree and all of them got jobs in their field within a year. It made me feel really comfortable and confident in the school.
Other perks: very small class sizes, students help their career field while in school (i.e. students from A.I. always design the Sundance Film Festival fliers), & they have a career department that helps you find a job after you graduate. Also I can get a bachelor's in I.D. at A.I and only an associate at SLCC.

I’m not fully in school yet, I need to fill out financial paperwork and talk about payments (right now my goal is to not take out any more school loans, we’ll see if that happens), but the next start date is January 10th. If I’m not ready for that then I’ll start in April. So hopefully this is more for real now 

1 comment:

  1. It took me 3 times of meeting with a SLCC counselor before I got one that answered all my questions. I try to avoid the counselors as much as possible. Glad to hear the Art Institute treated you much better.

    ReplyDelete