Thursday, October 14, 2010

The vet visit that started okay but then ended in chaos

Enna needed her breeding exam done and Makoa needed shots. I asked my brother in law to come with me to the vet so that he could hold one of the dogs while I was working on the other and then drive them home while I headed off to work.
That Friday finally came, I got the dogs and Ben came to my house early so we got to the vet in plenty of time, everything was going smoothly.
The vet wanted to give Makoa his shots first so I handed Enna over to Ben and plopped Makoa up on the table. The first shot went smoothly, but then came bordetella. Makoa did NOT want that up his nose and started throwing a fit, I wrapped my arms around him and tried to hold him in place while the vet grabbed for his nose.
In the middle of this whole episode I glanced at my shoulder and noticed a pretty big spot of blood, Ben then saw blood in my hair and thought I was bleeding. He searched through my hair but found nothing, I then looked down at my shirt and I was covered in blood, Makoa blood. The vet had nicked a capillary or something while giving the first shot (happens all the time and really isn't that big of a deal) and in the bordetella ordeal it became splattered all over my white shirt. There went my chances of going to work right after.
I then let Ben take over (I'm not sure why I didn't have him hold Makoa in the first place) so that he could cradle Makoa making it easier to shoot the bordetella up the nose. By this time we were all stressed and Enna wouldn't stop whining so I knew her exam would be difficult.

The vet did his examining of her bones, hips, eyes, ears and lungs, but when it came to her heart he gave me an uneasy look and listened intently. He then told me that Enna has a heart murmur. I starred at him in disbelief, she'd been checked multiple times and I had never been told this before. He then wrote grade 2 heart murmur on her sheet. I wasn't all too pleased by this. At that moment I knew I'd be going somewhere else getting a second opinion. She passed the rest of the exam with flying colors.

I called another vet we had used the next morning and they got us in right away. The other vet checked Enna out and said that he didn't believe she had a heart murmur. Enna shakes when she gets stressed, nervous or excited which accentuates the song of her lungs making it sound like heart murmur. If I pet her head while he listened to her heart the shaking would stop and so would the sound. He wrote a letter explaining the situation for our breeder and we thanked him over and over.

I haven't gotten a clear answer from my breeder but I think from her emails that she believes that Enna is still able to breed. I might get the final answer once I send her the actual exam in the mail, but I haven't gotten to that yet. So for right now I think Enna still has the green light on breeding. She's showing signs of going into heat (not until AFTER Dana comes Enna!) so we might be making puppies soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment