Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Chim-Chimney, Chim-Chimney, Chim-Chim-Caroo!

We got our chimneys cleaned last night since we use the downstairs fireplace religiously and I was fairly convinced that our house was going to burn down because the flue was full of soot.

The guy that came to do it reminded me so very much of John's uncle and I kept wanting to call him Steve. Truthfully, I'm not even sure what his name was.
I was sad because there wasn't any roof top dancing or singing, but both my chimneys are now spotlessly clean and we got commended on our good fire burning that kept our basement flue in such good order.

I guess unknowingly we are good fire people. We burn only hard woods since that's what John brings home from work, which burns cleaner and hotter so soot doesn't build up. We also burn our fires for very long periods of time which makes them extra hot (like burn all the hair off your body if you stand closer than 3 feet in front of it, hot) so it produces less soot. So I guess our house wasn't really at any risk to burn down because of soot build-up, but now I can burn fires knowing that my chimney is clean.

The upstairs fire place never gets used, but it got a good scrubbing too. I guess it was filthy, shame on you past house owners! My master plan is to eventually change that fireplace to gas (leave the one downstairs wood burning because I love the smell and popping sounds of burning wood) when we rip out the 1960's brick and update it to the 21st century.

Sooo...the pine paneling isn't done yet. Sigh. You would think that since John's life is wood he could actually measure, but I guess not (I will never admit to him that I said that so don't even try). We're half a wall short of the moldings and paneling. I REALLY don't want to glaze anymore so we've been procrastinating buying more, but I told John it has to get done this weekend because I don't want Dana to die from paint fumes while she stays with us.
The paneling that is on the wall, John's brother and I did while John was at work (I even used the nail gun, be proud!). We are very proud of ourselves because it looks freaking amazing! I'd post a picture but I don't have a computer that will let me. I guess you'll just have to wait until the finished project to see it...that is if I can find a picture allowing computer...

No comments:

Post a Comment