Monday, August 2, 2010

When it rains, it pours

I was so excited for my weekend. John and I were going to go camping with the dogs and really enjoy ourselves.
The camping did happen. John had Friday off so he went up to Settlement Canyon early to grab a spot, Settlement isn't anything to call home about, it's only about a mile long and not high up in elevation so the temperatures are the same as the city, but it's only 40 minutes away from home so that's why we went there.

John grabbed a great spot next to a creek, my favorite type of camping, and I went up after I got off of work at 6. That's when the ruckus started. A boy scout troop found a hidden spot behind us and were doing what boys do best, being loud and annoying.
We tried out best to ignore them and enjoy ourselves. We started a fire to roast hot dogs for dinner and banana boats for dessert. There were bats flying above our heads and eating all the bugs, it was fun to watch.

We went to bed around 11 when the boys finally decided to shut up but around 3 in the morning we heard banging in our camp site. John unzipped the window and shined our flashlight out to find that we were being visited by a skunk. The flashlight scarred him away for a couple hours but he was back by 5 trying to get into the dogs food, John moved the food container to the table and our skunk friend didn't come back.
We could hear the boys get up around 7, but they were just cleaning up camp. Finally around 8 it was peaceful again so we caught a for more Z's before getting up to make breakfast.

I woke up to what I thought was allergies, I sneezed 7,652 times before I decided I couldn't take it and drove into Tooele to get some medication.
When I got back and took my meds I zonked out in a camp chair for a good 3 hours, I thought the benedryl had knocked me out when it turns out my body just wanted to rest to get better.
The dogs were getting restless, but I was too tired and groggy to take them on a hike so we unleashed them and walked down to the creek.
Enna was being so bad, she kept running really far away and I had to call her name 3 times before she'd turn around. Once she came close to me she'd turn around and sprint off again as if saying, "Okay I came back, bye!" Makoa, our normally good boy, was following her bad example and after 30 minutes of that I was done. I clipped both of them back on their leashes and went back to my nap.

Right before dinner it started to sprinkle. We hopped it would just blow over but that sprinkle turned into a down pour. We tried to hold out as long as we could but soon our shade structure wasn't keeping us dry. We booked it to John's truck and decided to drive to Tooele to get some dinner and see if the rain would stop.
The rain quite 45 minutes after it started but by that time the dogs were muddy, we were muddy and my cold was really kicking my butt. We packed up our wet stuff as quickly as we could and headed home.

I didn't sleep a wink Saturday night, I even thought to be mean and wake John up to go buy me some cold medicine, but I was nice and didn't. Instead I went down stairs and slept on the couch with the portable fan blowing full speed. I finally fell asleep at 2 AM and wasn't woken up until 11 AM when John came downstairs. He had already pulled out all our wet camping gear and had it set up in the back yard to dry. I kept apologizing for not helping but my head felt like it weighed 50 pounds and I just wanted to sleep.

John put everything away and let me wallow in my zombie state, he might have complained in his head but I didn't hear him say one bad thing.
We decided that we cant go camping together, whenever we do we get rained on.

p.s. if this post doesn't make one bit of sense and is full of spelling/grammatical errors I'm blaming it on being drugged up, cold medicine has become my new best friend.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry your so anticipated camping trip ended up a poop out. Maybe just camp in your back yard next time.

    ReplyDelete