Monday, August 9, 2010

ceiling, epic journey part 4

This last weekend was the definition of busy. I don't think I rested one bit so now I'm dragging this Monday morning.
Friday John picked me up from work to hang out with some co-workers and we were out until 1 AM, way past my bedtime, I'm an old grandma and usually hit the hay at 10 PM.
Saturday we got a late start and headed to Lowe's around noon. Just as a side note, John is terrible at guessing costs. Every project we start he says, "This will cost such and such" and he's usually way off. The ceiling was no exception, after spending $100 more than anticipated and two hours later we left Lowe's.

My brain was fried from picking lights so I wasn't too excited to get started, but things started out smoothly. John changed out the main lights first and I stood around like a bump on a log watching since there was nothing for me to do. Luckily it didn't take him long and we started running speaker wire right after.
We went to Bose in Park City on Thursday to pick out the surround sound that we wanted so we could finish the ceiling now instead of having to take down all our hard work to put in the surround sound later. It was just to pick it out though, I let the sales rep talk me into the most expensive one there (he had really good points and I liked the size of the speakers better) so it'll probably have to be our tax return. Until then we'll just have speaker wire hanging out of the wall, no biggie.

John was in charge of measuring the sheet rock since I can't seem to learn how to read a tape measure and I got the lovely task of holding it above my head as he screwed it in place. I should receive a gold medal for holding things above my head. My arms would get tired so I'd rest the sheet rock on my head. If you ever need someone to hold something above their head for an extended amount of time give me a call.
Only one small glitch while we were working, John measured a little wrong so one of the lights was placed wrong, but he fixed it after we had the sheet rock up.
We didn't get too far, only a 1/3 of the ceiling was put up since our Sunday was run here, do that, be here all day long. I don't think we were home for more than 4 hours all day. We strolled into the house at 9:30 PM with no dinner in our bellies and exhausted from the day. I think John had a bowl of cereal but I couldn't keep my eyes open so I fell into bed.

I hope this week we get it all finished since the weekend will be another full one. If I feel up to it tonight I'll post pictures of our work, but don't be too disappointed if they don't go up until the ceiling is done.

p.s. The lights are so much brighter now than the old ones so they show all the stains on the carpet. John was disgusted so I guess new carpet is coming before cabinet doors. I'm pretty excited about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment