Friday, February 1, 2013

I should be thrilled, but instead I'm annoyed...

So ever since my post about Winston coming down to join us he has come down EVERY time we've been downstairs. That's a lot of stairs since we spend 90% of our time at home in our basement.
One tiny problem with this....HE'S ANNOYING!!!

You'd think having a dog for a year and a half we'd have gotten used to having him around, but about a year of that time he hasn't wanted to come downstairs so we never gotten into a good ebb and flow. The other dogs usually find a bone to chew or sleep somewhere in the room never bothering us (until they get up to chase the cat out of the room 27 times in 5 minutes), but Winston just can't do that.

If he's not hogging all the nylabones from Enna and Makoa, he's hovering over them to get theirs. Which then causes a commotion while Enna or Makoa tell him to leave them the F*** alone. If he's not causing a fight, he's standing with his face squarely in our laps, drooling on our pants or he's trying to climb onto the couch for the 100th time even though we tell him no.
It usually takes him a good half hour to actually just settle down and sleep and then we all try to move as silently as possible to not wake him and start the whole endeavor all over again. This usually means to go without potty breaks and absolutely no popcorn making.

Also unlike the other dogs he is very much not allowed in my craft room. I don't want him sliming my fabrics, getting in my way and driving the other dogs crazy while I sew. So the other night when I was in there working and John wasn't home he didn't know what to do with himself. I'd hear him start coming downstairs and I'd go out to supervise (not that I could really do much if a 150 pound dog decided to start sliding down) to make sure he'd make it down, but then it was back into my craft room. He'd then stand around crying because he didn't want to be alone and finally decided that maybe upstairs was where he wanted to be. So then I had to help him up, which I actually can do, so my walls don't take another beating.
Then I turned off all the basement and kitchen lights making the stairwell dark hoping that would deter him from coming. I then got about an hour of peace and quiet with Enna and Makoa at my feet while I sewed.
My weekend sewing mornings are sure not going to be productive if I'll be spending most of my time babysitting him on the stairs and keeping him entertained.

Don't get my wrong, I'm happy that he's deciding to join us and I'm sure that this is making his life more enjoyable.  I just hope that soon he finds his place in our ecosystem and it won't be such a burden to have him with us. I also need John to agree to selling our microfiber couch so Sir Drools A Lot will stop leaving a coat of spit in his wake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment