Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Operation Cut Winston's Nails

Winston used to be super easy to get his nails trimmed, then wobblers came along and he started being a pain. We'd try to trim his nails and he'd try to bite us. We were worrying more about Winston walking again so nails came last on my list so we just had the vet in Indiana trim them when he was under for the beads in October.
Then truthfully for a while there I didn't think Winston would be with us long enough to get another trim.
Winston's nails are like hawk talons now so it was time to worry about them again. Right after his bead implants we started playing with his feet again so he'd get comfortable. He stopped trying to bite us, but still looked really uncomfortable when we'd touch his feet. I think he doesn't have good feeling so it makes him unhappy.

I bought a muzzle in preparation, but I hoped we wouldn't have to use it. Sunday evening I cut up cheese cubes to keep him distracted and John trimmed the front nails, muzzle free. I was slimmed up to my elbows in Winston spit, but he was fully focused on me and John got some length off. We didn't get the dew claws (I hate dew claws so much) or back feet done. Those are for another day and another slime trip. I'm sure the muzzle will have to be used so we can focus better since his nails are black.

I'd like to get them back to a normal length and stop hearing the clacking of nails on the floors, but because of how long we've let them get (total shame on us) it's going to take some time. Once a week for 6 months at least, but probably more like a year.

In other news Winston seems to be getting better at using the stairs, he seems to be thinking more about his foot placement and I'm hoping it's building up his back leg strength. He's also a tiny bit less annoying when he's downstairs, not much, but he's trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment