Sunday, September 25, 2011

Mailbox garden

I ordered a mailbox garden from Direct Gardening back in June, but with it being summer and all they couldn't ship it. I finally got the order last Thursday so John and I got to work.
This is what we started with:
We replaced the mailbox in May of 2009 and I've wanted to put in a flower garden ever since.

Thursday night we moved the rocks, but it got dark fast so we had to call it quits.
The kit came with 1 Blue Light Clematis 

3 Stella D'Oro Daylilies

3 Hardy Blue Geraniums 


and 24 Creeping Red Sedum 



Supposedly these flowers can handle the harsh conditions of being next to the road, I guess only time will tell.
They were also having a good deal in tulips back in June, but I didn't go too crazy and only bought one kind. They're called Gavota tulips, very pretty.

Direct gardening is also very cool and you get free gifts with your purchases. I think I'm going to order for fall shipping more often because for once they sent me stuff for our zone so I don't have to dig it up in the winter. Bouquet tulips, grape hyacinths, and windflowers

So here's what the mailbox looks like now:
Of course it'll look different once the flowers bloom, but I think it's already an improvement over the rocks.


I ordered 300 crocus bulbs for the parking strip so we can get started on taking out the rest of the rocks. We'll need to add a sprinkling system (the mailbox garden gets watered from the main lawns system) and the rocks will be finding a new home on the side of the house. Just a few more projects before winter hits!

No comments:

Post a Comment