Tuesday, September 6, 2011

loaded to the gills

This past labor day weekend was pretty jam packed with events which makes for a really good weekend!
John left Friday night with his sister and her “boy”friend to stay the night at his grandparents so that they wouldn’t have to drive far for their hike up the Aspen Grove trail. A trail I can’t take unless it’s with other slow hikers because I’d probably die of an asthma attack from the elevation climb, steepness and not enough rests so I’ve never gone. One day though I’d like to make it up…slowly.

John took Makoa since I didn’t want my hands full with 4 dogs, 2 of which are puppies, by myself for the night. Makoa loves when we pull out his little backpack, that means he gets to go someplace super fun with special treats (the only time he gets wet food is on long hikes, since it makes me want to gag, but it’s full of good things for hiking).




John said that Makoa did really well on the hike especially since it was 3 miles longer than last year since they didn’t slide down the snow field. But Makoa was really tired coming down and whenever they’d stop to rest Makoa would lie down and have to be called to come once they started down the trail again.
Once home all Makoa wanted to do was lie down. He’d find the closest dog bed to get comfy in and it usually took some persuading to go outside or downstairs. His foot pads were a little torn up, so he walked pretty gingerly around the house, but luckily dog’s feet heal quickly. By Monday night he was back to his old self and was playing with Winston for the first time since Winston came into our family.

Saturday morning I woke up at 5:00AM to take Pup Pup to the airport since he had to be there at 6:00AM. I knew where I was going unlike when we took Enna for the first time and the process is usually quick so I thought I’d be back in my bed by 6:30AM at the latest. Nobody told the billing machine at the cargo hub though and it decided that it needed to be broken and printing in Chinese, literally. This is a story for another day and I’m waiting for pictures from Pup’s new owners before I post about it.
Around 10:00AM my friend, Mindy, invited me to brunch at Ruth’s Diner so that ate up a little of my day. The rest was spent vegging out on Red box movies and waiting for my men to come home from their hike.

Sunday morning Enna and I met up with Mindy, her boyfriend and his sister to go hiking in the Uinta’s with our dogs. I don’t know if the Uinta’s is really off-leash friendly, but there weren’t any signs stating that they couldn’t be, so we felt safe.
The hike was beautiful, breath taking and fantastic. It was so wonderful that we’re thinking of going on another 7 hour hike this weekend using the same trail head. It really was the highlight of my weekend and I know Enna loved it since she hasn’t been off leash since April. I just didn’t feel comfortable taking her when she was pregnant and getting ran into by other dogs and then once she had the puppy I didn’t want her picking up something dangerous on her coat and bringing it home to a young puppy. It really was nice girl bonding time.












Monday, we woke up early again and headed up to Solider Hollow for the sheep dog trials. This is our second year going and we really enjoy it. Watching those dogs work is really amazing and the food served is really good.
After the sheep dogs we went to my parents for a BBQ and croquet playing. It was a nice end to a great weekend and I’m excited for next.

No comments:

Post a Comment