Monday, March 28, 2011

California here I come!

In a week and 2 days I’ll be on my way to California with Makoa to visit Dana! Then 4 days after I get home Enna will be on a plane heading to Texas to breed. This means lots of prep work. Enna and Makoa have an appointment to get back on heart worm (they ran out in December and since it’s not mosquito season I wasn’t too concerned) and I’m going to Petsmart tonight to get some flea and tick repellant.

California and Texas (especially Texas) don’t have strong cold periods like Utah so they have a bigger population of fleas, ticks and mosquitos and I don’t want my pups coming home with some yucky disease.
Makoa also needs a new bed and leash since he chewed up his (don’t ask about the leash, it was my brilliant idea that epically failed).

When I get home from Cali, Enna has an appointment to get her vaccines renewed and her flight exam done.
I know what you are all thinking; I’m crazy for putting my baby on a plane and sending her to a stranger for 5+ weeks, but do you remember the chaos we went through with the last breeding? Yes, it’ll break my heart to send my precious pup to Texas, but maybe this way she’ll actually come home pregnant and I won’t die of stomach ulcers from breeding worry.

I know Barbara will take really good care of her and she’ll love all the dogs she’ll get to play with…well before she goes into heat and only gets to see one for two weeks.
I do keep having nightmares though where it’ll be time for Barbara to send Enna back and she refuses or she sends the wrong dog claiming its Enna. Just Mama worries I guess.
Also I don’t care what the airport says, I’m carrying Enna in my arms into the airport (with a leash attached of course) until the final minutes where I have to put her in the crate and say goodbye. I wish I could explain to her what was happening and tell her that everything was going to be okay. Instead she’ll just lick my hand through the door making me fall to pieces and cry all the way home.

Everything will be good though and I’m over the moon excited to see Dana!

P.S. if you’re wondering why Makoa is going with my instead of Enna like originally planned let me explain.
Enna is supposed to go into heat at the end of April, but with our luck she’d go into heat while she was with me in Cali. So she’s staying home with John with her diaper on so that if she goes into heat while I’m gone (heaven forbid!) John can put her on the plane. It does suck a smidgen since I can no longer fly since taking Makoa would be an extra $400 on top of my ticket, but now we get to spend quality bonding time driving. Also Makoa is head over heels in love with Dana, way more than Enna, so he’ll be thrilled when he sees her.

1 comment:

  1. I AM SOOOOO excited! I can't wait.... only 6 more dayyyysss! I can't wait to see you and cute little Makoa! uhhhh can't wait!

    ReplyDelete