Thursday, April 15, 2010

spring fever

Yesterday was too gorgeous of a day to stay inside and clean the Mouth of Hell aka my kitchen, so the pups and I went off the Tanner Park/Parley's trail. It was the first time I went alone with the dogs, not that they're hard to control alone because they're not, it's just that I forget that I can go by myself. :)

While in the car Makoa was SOOO excited! He kept talking to me and whining, when we turned onto the road that leads up to Tanner they went nuts!

Some in the car pictures, dont worry they were all taken at red lights.

Makoa found a beagle that he loved and they chased each other for the first part of our hike, then him and Enna explored all the bushes and trails.



If you look really closely in this picture you'll see Enna's head as she comes out of the bush.

I heart off leash areas and trails and you can tell that my pups do too!
Just look at the smile!

On a side note, Makoa is really worming his way into my heart. For a long time all of his behavioral issues were really putting a damper on our relationship and I just wasn't really fond of him. For the last few months I've been working with him and his personality and trying to understand why he does what he does.
When we first started doing off leash with him he was so easy to get back on leash but then out of the blue he changed and it was a nightmare getting him back on. The minute the leash came out he'd dart away and wouldn't come within arms reach no matter what. Nothing worked, treats, praise, nothing. We'd either have to wait until he forgot that we were trying to get him or just walk him back to the car without him on his leash and risk getting a ticket for not obeying leash laws. It was getting so bad that I always thought twice about bringing him with.

So the last few times I've been trying a new tactic. I learned that if he is pet throughout the hike he doesn't think that every time he is touched it's time to go home and I hang the leash around my neck so that he sees it the whole time we are out.
Now from start to finish with our walk I'll call him back to me and give him some scratches and a lot of praise and I haven't had one bit of trouble getting him back on...now that I've said that I've jinxed myself and it will be a nightmare again. Cross your fingers that he'll stay good! I really am starting to love that little guy and enjoying his company.

No comments:

Post a Comment