Friday, May 10, 2013

Winston back into training

It was so nice when I could stop planning Winston's funeral. Seriously, I really was. I'd bawl my eyes out when I was in my car alone thinking about having to put him down, but then one day he came downstairs. That was his turning point and I started thinking of ways for him to enjoy his life instead of ending it.

Because of this turning point we have started his social training back up again. I don't plan on taking Winston on too many hikes unless I know that the trail is wide and not on the edge of a steep cliff, but I'd still like him to interact with other dogs peacefully. Our annual Friend and Dog vacation is coming up in July and I'd really like it if Winston could come and participate.

K9 Lifeline has been such a life saver for us. There are many training facilities available, but none that do what they do. Most facilities would turn Winston's dog aggressive behaviour away, but K9 welcomes him with open arms and wants to help make him better. There is no way would could have had trips like our Bear Lake trip without them. So I knew that that was where we'd be going again.

I didn't want to leave Winston with K9 in the state he was in...
so before his two daycare sessions I knew he'd need a bath. I hate Winston bath time. It's a fight every time that involves harnesses, pulling, pushing, swearing, and sometimes it ends in broken appendages. Mainly me and mainly my toes.

After I mentally and psychically prepared for Winston's bath, I made the mistake of announcing it to Winston who then took off into the kitchen and far from the tub. John then geniusly coaxed him into our bedroom and I blocked off the hallway so Winston couldn't escape. I thought Winston would go into panic mode once he saw that there was no exit, but he calmly walked into the bathroom with no fuss. After I picked my jaw off the floor, I asked Winston to get into the tub thinking that he'd turn tail to run back into the bedroom. He shocked me again by stepping in as graceful as a ballerina.
I don't think any dog in the history of the universe has been praised as highly and lovingly as Winston was after that moment.
I did still have to use his halti to attach his face to the faucet because he has this annoying habit of curling his body into a "U" so all the water drips onto the bathroom floor.
I them gave him a good scrubbing and he calmly stepped out. Glory to God!

Winston is spending two days at K9 Lifeline so they can re-evaluate him to see if he can join in to their Pack to Basics again. That post will come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment