Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Sigh

Yes this post is titled Sigh because that it exactly what I did just a half hour after meeting a new vet. After Winston's last ear infection stressed everyone out I vowed we wouldn't put us all through that again and googled home vets. A very small pool to say the least, but I found Dr. Brett Packer's web site. I read through his site and decided to give it a go.

When I started explaining Winston to the doctor he asked if we happened to train with K9 and when I said yes he said that he had heard all about him. So nice to not have to go through detailed explanation for the 100th time! I scheduled the appointment for last Tuesday at 7PM, which I loved by the way since I didn't have to take time off work or wait for John to get home and rush to the vet only to get there late.

Dr. Packer and his wife bring such a calming effect into the house that I knew all was going to go well. Winston was so stocked that people came to see him and had no idea his ears were getting treated, it was a relief.
We still had to muzzle him, but when you're that big it wasn't a shock. Dr. Packer's wife held Winston down and Dr. Packer squirted in the magic goo. Much less painful for everyone involved this time.

When we let Winston outside to shake the gunk out of his ears we all sat down to talk about Winston, his wobblers and how to keep him around for as long as possible. Dr. Packer is the exact vet I want in my pets' life. He's more holistic, supports raw wholeheartedly, and only wants to do what is necessary. It was nice to not feel rushed and I felt like it was just about us since it was at our house. We'll be giving Winston fish oil pills (cheaper than the salmon oil we were giving him already) and a monthly Pentosan injection for his joints.We'll also be seeing Dr. Packer in 3 weeks to check on Winston's ears, but I can text the good Doctor any time and with any thing.

Surprisingly all of this was cheaper than Winston's last ear infection and all we got out of the was his ears treated and him totally stressed out. Dr. Brett Packer is definitely who I'll be calling all the time now!He's not paying me to say this, I'm just saying this because I know how stressful and hard it is to find a vet you love.

Winston's not drooly like the last time, but he is sleepy now!

1 comment:

  1. I just joined a facebook group for animal lovers in the eagle mountain/saratoga springs area and EVERYONE in that group raves about Dr. Packer. Glad you were able to find the right vet for your fur babies :)

    ReplyDelete