Friday, February 25, 2011

Enna's eating adventure

Enna is too smart for her own good. She knows how to open her crate door unless we Fort Knox it closed and yesterday I forgot to do just that.
I was running 15 minutes late which is really unusual for me so I rushed to lock the dogs up and leave for work. I thought nothing of it until John called me at 4:30. Enna had got out of her crate and had a hay day with my night stand.

I store too many things on it including Tums, candy and hydrocodizone which Enna decided sounded delicious.
From what I can remember of the quantities we figure she ate 4 chocolate covered macadamia nut kisses, 10 Tums and about 105 mg of hydrocordizone. Of course instead of calling the vet first John calls me and has me call the vet.
My main vet says that she'll need to be rushed to the ER and get put on liquids STAT. I call the ER place and they say to bring her in right away and they'll try to make her vomit it all up, but if that doesn't work she'll have to be hospitalized for 3 days and be on IVs. All I could think about were dollar signs and how it would be all my fault if anything happened to her.

Luckily at the vet she vomited up all the crap she ate and the vet thinks it was most of the really harmful stuff from the wrappers and colors.
When she was brought back into the room to us she looked so miserable. The very tall vet was cradling her under her front legs with her back legs resting on his hip and her eyes were all squinty and sad. I have to admit that I giggled a little at how cute the scene was.

Right now she's with my brother-in-law just as a precaution, but I'm sure she's fine. She never showed any signs of not feeling good (except after being made to vomit) and this morning she was very excited to be in the car heading to my in-laws. She didn't quite understand when I handed over the leash to Ben and started walking to my car. She started to follow me back out of the house and looked questioningly at Ben when he picked her up.

In the end I'm just glad that she isn't a destroyer like Makoa (who's actually got better with chewing and he didn't get out yesterday even though I forgot to extra-lock his crate too) and didn't get a hold of my shoes. You'd think I'd learn my lesson and put my shoes away with how many have been ruined, but no, I still leave them in a pile by our bedroom door.

No comments:

Post a Comment