Thursday, February 10, 2011

Because 3 pets just aren't enough!

John and I sent our deposit to a breeder for a puppy this morning. I promise we're not loosing our minds, this dog has a purpose...and we might be loosing our minds a little.
When your house have been broken into twice you start to think someone is in your house all the time. If I'm by myself every noise requires an investigation with a steak knife in my hand (I really need to get a hand gun!), at night I'm sure someone is standing by the bed starring at me and I'm always expecting to come home to a ransacked house.

I scared the pee out of myself the other day. I had set the alarm and shut the door to leave for work and remembered that I left an open water bottle next to my laptop, knowing that Sophi would most likely knock the bottle over onto my new computer, I unlocked the door to go back inside. The view from the door looks straight down the basement stairs where I saw someone standing. My heart beat out of my chest, my blood drained out of my body and I almost screamed until I realized that it wasn't a person, it was our ottoman turned on it's side and the vacuum cleaner in front of it. We moved everything out into the hall because we cleaned the carpet.
It took the drive to work to get my heart rate to return to normal, but this is what home burglaries do to you.

So we're getting a man eating dog to protect us. Okay, he won't be man eating, but this breed is fiercely loyal and protective of it's home and owners. They're called South African Boerboels.
 This is the father of our future puppy
They have a sixth sense about who is a good or bad person and read their owners very well. They are excellent guard dogs, not letting people they don't know into their house or yard when their owners are away or they sense danger.
After a long time searching through different guard dogs we feel like this is the dog for us. They are good with other pets when raised with them, excellent with children (which my dogs really aren't) and a good size to scare off the creepers.

The puppies aren't born yet, they should be around mid-March and able to come home mid-May. We'd like a male so if none are born or others are higher on the list then we'll be moved to the next litter.
April, May and June are going to be pretty busy for us. I'm going to visit Dana in Cali with Enna the beginning of April, Enna should be going into heat the end of April and we'll try breeding her again, May will pick up a puppy if everything works out and June Enna should be having her litter of puppies. Don't worry, I've already started to give myself anxiety over the whole situation. I'm trying to tell myself to be calm and that everything will work out the way it's suppose to. Cross your fingers for us!

John says he doesn't want to live in a zoo, little does he know I'm getting my way slowly but surely :) Soon we'll have a tank full of fish, 3 dogs, 1 cat (which I plan to add to) and my secret surprise pet that he agreed to. Shhhh, don't tell him I'm an evil genius.

2 comments: