Saturday, November 6, 2010

Fall Gardening

I finally got around to my fall gardening and it looks like just in time since it's suppose to snow Monday.
I had to dig up my Dahlias, they don't winter over here in Utah because it's just too cold.
I know they don't look at all attractive when out of the ground and not in bloom but they need to dry out before I store them away in saw dust for the winter. My only hang up is that they need to stay somewhere around 40 degrees and since I don't have a garage that makes it a tad tricky. They may be living under the stairs.
I also had to dig up my flowering shamrocks and peacock orchids to keep them snug as a bug for the winter.

While I was at it, I planted more spring bulbs because that's what gets me through the winter, just knowing that I have flowers ready to pop up in March.
 Baby daffodils - Minnows - so sweet!

 "60 days of tulips" - all different types so I can be surprised

 Bi-colored grape hyacinth - teeny tiny at 6" tall, perfect for borders

 Two types of Alliums, short and tall. I never seem to have great luck with these so we'll see.

 More hyacinths, who doesn't love hyacinths? They smell amazing and look beautiful.

This is all I have to tide me over through the long, cold winters here. I really live in the wrong state...

*All bulbs were bought from dutch gardens. They're kinda pricey but I had a coupon for free shipping*

No comments:

Post a Comment