Wednesday, May 19, 2010

zappity zap

Makoa has a new accessory, it's blue, has a nice shiny buckle and zaps him when he does something bad. It's a shock collar. Before you start scolding me for such a purchase let me explain.
Makoa has chased poor Sophi since the day he came to live with us. At first it wasn't too bad because he'd just chase her but now he likes to trap her in a corner, jump on her repeatedly and bite her head. I was getting really annoyed and starting to worry that he might hurt my cat. I was at my last resort so this collar was purchased.

We've had it for a while now but it wasn't working when we put it on him. So I thought maybe it was just a crappy buy, gave up and just didn't put it on him.
Well Monday night I wanted to strangle him. All I kept hearing was hissing, growling and scratching on the floor since they had no traction. I was so tired of yelling "MAKOA LEAVE IT!" because it just wasn't working.
So I tried the collar again last night, I just put it on tighter since I thought maybe it was all his fur that was getting in the way of the shock prongs.

After a few minutes he went after Sophi and I pushed the highest shock button thinking it wouldn't be that bad since I never got a reaction out of him before. I was wrong, he yelped so loud! John looked at me and asked, "What button did you push?!" I answered sheepishly, "The highest..." But it worked, he stopped right in his tracks when he was chasing Sophi.
As the night wore on he went after Sophi 3 more times and I pushed one of the lower shock buttons and he stopped bugging the cat (plus no more yelps). He seemed to learn fast, after he got shocked he run to John, sit down next to him and not move even though Sophi was still in the room. I'm hoping with just a few more days and a few more shocks we wont have to use the collar for Sophi chasing anymore.
We might use it for door barking though since he's the one that started that fun trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment