Monday, March 29, 2010

free roam


well at least in the bedroom at night.
Enna has been sleeping with her crate door open for a few months now but Makoa has still been locked up until last night.
Makoa was still having accidents in the night if outside his crate so we were waiting until he got a little older to try it again.

To start off we put all our shoes away so Makoa wouldn't be distracted by the intoxicating smell of leather and just sleep.
I think he was loving his new freedom because he encouraged Enna to wrestle with him while I was reading. After about 5 minutes of that I was tired of hearing the squawking to I told them both to go to their beds. Enna slide right into hers and laid down but he decided he wasn't ready to sleep yet so he wouldn't stay in his.
I figured that he wouldn't settle down until the lights were off so I cut my reading short. The minute my lamp turned off he jumped on the foot of the bed and started to curl up. "No, no, no little buddy, dogs dont sleep on the bed" so he was gently pushed off. 5 minutes passed and up on the bed he jumped again. Only one more correction showed him that puppies sleep in their own beds.

When I woke up at 5:30 both pups were sound asleep in their crates (with crate doors wide open) and quietly got up when I told them it was time to go outside.
Hopefully this one night of perfection will add up to many, the real test will be the weekends.

Enna always starts rustling around 7:00 AM on the weekends but if ignored she'll curl back up in her bed, we'll see if Makoa follows suit.
Cross your fingers for success! The next step would be letting them have free roam of a room while we're at work...I dont know if I'm there trust wise...

No comments:

Post a Comment