Thursday, March 11, 2010

A break from cruise posts...


I'll post more on the cruise soon but I had to share what happened last night.
When I got home from work I was pulling the trash cans in from the curb and when I looked down the street I noticed two pugs sitting on the corner. I had never seen them before so I walked down to check I.D.s. One pug only had a rabies tag and the other only had a AKC registration tag. I called the AKC to report the lost pugs and then tried to figure out how to get them to my house.
I picked up one pup and started towards the house hoping the other would follow but she wouldn't and they were too heavy for me to carry both. So I sat on the curb with the shivering pugs and waited for John to get home from work.

About 15 minutes later John pulled into our driveway and I called him over. When I explained to him that I wanted to take the dogs to our house until we heard from the owners he didn't seem to understand why, but he scooped up one dog and I, the other and we headed off towards our house.

Sophi was REALLY mad that two new dogs were in the house and was hissing up a storm, when John tried to pick her up to put her in the bedroom she scratched him really bad. Of course this made John furious and still wasn't happy that I wanted to bring the dogs home. I explained to him that this is what I'd want someone to do for us if they found our dogs and that seemed to calm him down. Our dogs stayed in their crate while the pugs were in the house because I didn't know how the pugs would react to them.

While pouring the dogs some food my cell phone rang, it was the worried owner. She had the verge of tears sound in her voice and thanked me about 20 times for finding her dogs, she said that they had gotten out the night before and they were really worried about them. I gave her my address and she said that she'd be right over.

All I can say is that in the 1/2 hour it took the lady to get to the house I sure appreciated the fact that my dogs can breath! While eating, one of the pugs was making this awful sound and I turned to John and asked, "Is he growling or something?" and John said, "I think he's just trying to breath and eat at the same time." Even just sitting or laying down it sounded like the dogs were snoring, there's no way I could put up with that all day long! :) They were really sweet though, the female would sit in the living room and if I left the room and then came back she'd get really excited and her whole butt would wiggle.

When the owner and her family showed up at my door they were so thrilled to see the pups. They gave me a reward of $60 that I tried to decline multiple times but the lady looked like she was on the verge of tears again so I took it.

Like I said, I just wanted to do the right thing and what I would want someone to do for me and my dogs. I'll try not to let this good deed make my head too big :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow good for you nikki! Way to be a good citizen of the community... if only society had more people like you i'm sure we would have less pets on the streets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so great. I started laughing when you talked about them breathing. Don't you just love the raspy sound? Everytime my mom hears it she thinks the dog is dieing.

    ReplyDelete