Monday, June 29, 2009

Our home, the construction site

So John went into project mode and decided it was time to raise the duct work in the basement hallway so our tall friends and family can walk around without conking themselves on the head.
I didn't get a good before picture because John started hacking away at it before I even got home from work (p.s. I got that job I was talking about a few posts ago) but I did get this:

Its ridiculously low because I can touch it when I'm on flat feet so it does need to come up. We're also going to put in some lighting since it has none now and fix some of the previous owners electrical work.
Well after a long weekend and lots of this:


(thats only a small dent of the crap that came out, John would haul it off the the dumpster before I got the camera out)
John got all the duct work taken out and is now putting in the new stuff. Oh and the storage room door and wall are gone. :) nice...

I have even helped some! I cut some of the metal to make end caps and what he calls blockers (my cut lines weren't very straight though) and I'm very good at holding stuff over my head while John nails it into place!
John's goal is to have most of the work done by the end of next weekend, I think its kinda a stretch but I'll cross my fingers for him. I just want it done so we can paint the boring white walls and maybe I can talk him into painting the bathroom too :)

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I don't even recognize it. You guys are amazing! Eric and I will have to come over and see the finished project. We should play Ticket to Ride again. (For the record, you guys got him obssessed with that game. haha!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to see that and our new couch, if it ever decides to get here! gesh! Its a fun game, i love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could touch the ducts from the floor without needing a boost? That WAS low! It’s a good thing you pushed it upwards. Kudos to John for doing the construction himself! It looks he really is handy with tools! It’s so cute how you wanted to chronicle the progress of his work. I hope everything is much better with your house today!

    ReplyDelete