Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Gardening time!

So I'm too excited to wait until I get the flowers to post so I'm going to do it now :)
I LOVE flowers, gardening and working in the dirt, I think I get this from my mom. When we moved into our house the garden was just dirt, this made me so happy! It meant that I can do what I want flower wise!

see how boring it looks!!! Well in the fall I planted bulbs so we could enjoy spring flowers, I have the worst patience ever so when I planted them I wanted winter to end quickly so I could see my flowers. Luckily winter didn't seem as long as it usually does!

I think I helped winter pass quicker because I got every catalog I could find on flowers sent to my house :) I would sit on our living room floor for hours while I poured over the catalogs, drooling over the flowers and cutting out pictures. I finally decided on what flowers to get and with the cut out pictures I would lay them on the floor where they were going to go in the garden and just stare at them and smile (just imagine how many catalogs I had if I could make a garden out of pictures!).

It seems like every day I would go to the flower websites and I just couldn't wait until I could place the order!
Finally the day came! Its warm enough to plant and for me not to freeze to death while doing so.
I ordered from two separate companies so I could get all the flowers I wanted and get a good deal too.

Some of the flowers i ordered from http://www.dutchbulbs.com are:

Specie Lilies - Scarlet Delight. They remind me of bigger, longer blooming star grazer lilies.
They'll go under the bedroom window in the back of the flower bed since they get 48" - 60" tall. They bloom from May to August.

Next to them will be the Pam's Choice Foxglove, a must have for me since I love foxgloves, but it needs to go in the back of the bed because its poisonous to pets.they grow 36" - 48" and bloom May to June.

Another cool flower thats coming from them is the Astrantia "Moulin Rouge" , I think its really cool looking and it attracts humming birds and butterflies.

It grows 16" - 18" and blooms June through September.
I got such a good deal from Dutchbulbs.com, half off my entire order which is good cause I would have spent a butt load if I didn't have that offer!

I also used www.directgardening.com, they were a lot cheaper than dutchbulbs so I bought more stuff through them.
Some of the flowers I bought from them are:
The Scabiosa "Butterfly Blue", my mom has a species of them in her garden and I love them.They grow12'' - 18" and bloom April to Frost

Red Turk's Cap lilies, I needed some red and John likes liliesThe grow 24" to 30" and bloom June through August.

Also an Ice Plant in Lavender and yellow for some short flowers in the front, the lavender ones were pretty pricey because of their long blooming season but I think it was worth it.
The lavender ones grow about 2" - 3" and bloom from May to September and the yellows bloom in the summer.
When I bought from direct gardening I got a ton of plants for free, of course they're not ones that I wanted and they have to be dug up in the fall because they wont winter over in Utah.

Those are only a tiny bit of what I ordered, this would be the longest post ever if I listed everything! :)

We also bought some soil from a local company called Bio Grass so we're going to dig out the old gross, rocky dirt and put in nice new soil. Looks like my weekend is cut out for me huh?!


4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! So cute! I'll definetly be stopping by your place a lot in the summer. When I've got my own place you'll have to teach me the ropes of planting flowers. We've only ever had daffodils and tulips. Planted once and never have to worry about again... I know NOTHING about gardening. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha ha! i'd love to help! I find it very relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That'll be the prettiest garden! You'll have to take pictures of the final product and post them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so we finished the garden, but the tulips aren't happy with the transplant so they're a little droopy and sad! I'll post pictures when things start growing!

    ReplyDelete