Saturday, October 20, 2012

Can't Come Soon Enough

Just over the the past few days Winston has gone down hill. It takes us 20+ minutes to get him out of our bedroom in the morning since he has to walk onto the hardwood floor which he ALWAYS slips on. He's terrified of it and I can understand why. Even rugs aren't helping him feel secure. In fact, as I type this he's laying by the bedroom door crying.
Then getting him inside after he's been outside is a challenge, he doesn't like the two stairs into the house anymore and will run away...more like stumble and fall away...if you come close enough to touch him. This is a problem because the other dogs need to come outside to potty and we've stopped letting them all out together. Winston doesn't remember how to stop running and plows over little Enna which gives me heart palpitations.

We have a harness for him since collars are a no-no with wobblers and usually if we can get the harness on him we can coax him into doing what we want, but this morning it's not helping in the slightest. We then have to walk the thin line of trying to not be frustrated and staying patient because it's not his fault.This gives me much anxiety when I'm running late for work and I can't get my 135 pound dog outside to potty.

It makes me thankful that we scheduled the wobblers treatment so early and that the money in our savings account is allowing us to do so. I really don't know if we could wait until the middle of November. But then I'm in that weird boat that's trying to float on hope, but could sink because of reality. I don't know whether I should be extremely optimistic (I'm a glass half empty type of person) and think that this treatment will help or let my cynicism out and think it won't help at all. I'm worried if I get my hopes up they'll only be crushed, but I need to stay positive for Winston. Right now I need to get Winston out of the bedroom.

They say wobblers affects the walking, but I'm wondering if it affects the brain too. Sometimes I have no idea who this dog is. He's not the carefree, happy go lucky dog I know. Every sound scares him, every sudden movement makes him jump. His personality can go through a tailspin making him even harder to live with. The 29th just can't come soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment