Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Dog food

You may or may not care about dog food, you may not have any pets or maybe you're wondering what dog food is the best since there are so many commercials advertising food or maybe you just don't care about dog food or dogs. Anyway you look at it, I still plan on talking about it.

I emailed Winston's breeder to ask what she was feeding him so that we could be ready for him. It's important to know that dogs have sensitive stomachs and changing their food too quickly can cause an upset which leads to diarrhea, so switching food should be done gradually with the food they're on so that their systems can adjust. When getting Enna and Makoa we didn't need to worry since the breeders were feeding them Royal Canine and it's a good food so we kept them on it.
When I got the reply from the breeder if I was drinking a drink it would have been spit out, Purina Puppy Chow. Purina!?! Total crap food! No real meat in it at all! Petsmart's food section is arranged from great to crappy and Purina is at the very end so that's saying something! That meant that I was changing his food!

I was thinking we'd be going with Royal Canine Large Breed, but was told that large breeds needed low protein while growing so they didn't grow too fast putting pressure on their joints. Royal had more protein than Purina so I went to researching.
The food brands I stand by are Royal Canine (obviously since I feed that to my dogs), Blue Buffalo and Innova so I looked into those brands to see which had the lowest protein.
While doing so I really liked the ingredients and preservatives found in Innova and knew I'd be switching to it for Winston, I also decided to switch Enna and Makoa to it as well.

I just bought the food today, but I had to buy a huge bag of Purina because that's all Petsmart had so that means Winston will be on it longer than I would hope, but he'll be switched by George!
(if you're wondering, Sophi is on the Wellness Grain Free brand of food. It helps her not shed as much and have a softer coat since cats have a hard time digesting grains.)
All my pets are on good food, but it is more expensive. To me it's worth it since they'll live longer, have healthier lives and better coats. You wouldn't eat sawdust so why feed it to your pets?

In other dog news, we go to get Winston this Saturday. We'll be leaving at 1AM (probably closer to 2, since I have a hard time getting out of bed) so that we can make the 16 hour round trip and be home early evening.
We're all ready for Winston, but it helps having other dogs. All that was needed to buy was a collar, tag and food. He'll sleep in Makoa's crate at night until potty trained and during the day he'll be staying in the travel crate until he out grows it, then he'll be moved to the bathroom and then outside once big enough.

We bought a new dog bed for Enna and Makoa and Winston once he's potty trained and can sleep out of a crate (hopefully he'll fit on the bed). The dogs really love it and it was such a great price! It was bought the large size from Dr. Foster and Smith, online of course!

We just got Winston's ID tag in the mail, perfect for him! Bought from Hug A Pug on Etsy. The collar was not bought online, but at Petsmart. A medium sized, cheap collar that is put to the smallest size so he can grow into it. It's not the final collar though, that will also be bought online (because I'm an online addict!) we just have to wait until he's full grown because it's leather and pricey.


I also had to buy the cutest key chain from Poochy Couture on Etsy.It has all four pets on all four sides with a fish and dog bone charm on top. Simple, but cute!

In Pup Pup news, he's still not sold. You wouldn't believe how many offers we've had that have fallen through! Hopefully soon though! He's now posted on our breeders sight (better late than never, I guess) and she just sent me a forwarded email from someone interested. I won't hold my breath though. 


No comments:

Post a Comment