Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Playing catch-up - quilting class

I hate when others play catch-up and here I am doing it. My quilt class started in August and that's where most of my time went.

 There are about nine girls in my class now and here they all are enjoying our first class of the series.

I'm teaching paper piecing, meaning the pattern is printed on a piece of paper and fabric is sewn onto the paper and once all the pieces are sewn on the paper is torn off. We're doing a quilt called Around the Town and every month we sew a new building.

It takes a few weeks prep time since I make the pattern in 3 levels for the girls in my group since everyone is at a different skill level. I then sew the hardest level and make cutting lists for all three levels. It's quite a bit of work, but I enjoy it.

I didn't get pictures of the first month block, but the second month was a church.
 Here is my church, advanced pattern has appliqued windows and embroidery

And some of the class's church, they all did the advanced block, but didn't have time to do the applique



The next month was an ice cream shop,the advanced block had more windows and an appliqued ice cream cone on the door and appliqued window curtains
 My block

Some of the class's blocks, I think most went with the intermediate block and they need to embroider the words Ice Cream Shop on the building 





The next month was a quilt shop and it looks like I slacked on pictures because I didn't even take one of mine. Here are a few of the classes.



In December we did a toy shop and I forgot to take pictures of the classes finished blocks, but they all turned out pretty cute.

The class will go until next August or so and then I think I'll take a couple months off to breath before I even think about doing another block of the month series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment