Sunday, June 9, 2013

Iron tote

Taking my hot iron home from class hasn't been easy. I'd either have to drive one handed so I could  hold the iron up with the other or strategically place it in my car and hope it didn't fall over (it always fell over). It just wasn't working out. When I was taking my class at Floyd and Lizzie's they showed a pattern for an iron caddy, but that was months ago and they no longer carry the pattern. After searching online I found it again, but I didn't want to pay $20 plus shipping for it so I decided to wing it.

The pattern cover said how big it folded out to so I knew how much fabric to buy so that wasn't a challenge and once someone at Joann's directed me to the heat resistant iron fabric I was good to go.
 I cut a rectangle out of the iron fabric, batting and regular fabric and 45 degreed the corners off. I then basted them together and used pictures of the completed tote to figure out where the quilted seams went.
I changed my design up a little and added a loop of elastic for the cord so that it didn't have to sit next to the hot iron plate. 
A fat quarter of fabric was enough to do the binding and make the handles and I used a decorative stitch off my new sewing machine to attach it. I did have to remove my elastic loops and buttons because I put them on the wrong side, but other than that this project went together very smooth. It turned out so cute and I'm very pleased with it.

Now I'll be safer on the road and that's a blessing for everyone.

I have enough heat resistant fabric left over to make a case for my straighter and curling iron so that's what I'll be doing next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment