Wednesday, April 11, 2012

freezers and turkeys

To do a raw diet for dogs you have to have a freezer that will only store the meat. The last few weeks I was able to get away without one because I was just doing chicken quarters, but it was costing me a pretty penny since I wasn't buying in bulk. This week we had to introduce another protein source into Winston's diet and turkey is usually the next best step. Since I didn't have a place to store from a butcher I went to a specialty dog store and picked some up, you wouldn't believe the price! John about passed out, but I told him that it had to be done. I think that's what finally got him on board with getting a freezer even though I've been pestering him about it since January.

He removed some (crappy) shelving in our storage room so that the freezer could have a home, but after he was done he informed me that we couldn't have a freezer.

John, coming upstairs to the bathroom where I'm elbow deep in bleach cleaning the tub: We can't have a freezer.
Me, as I blow hair out of my eyes and continue with my work. I'm use to his dramatic flair: Why not?
John: It won't fit through the doorway.
Me, he finally has my full attention: oh...that is a problem.
I wash the bleach off my skin and follow him down to the storage room to investigate.

After some discussions, web searching and measuring it was decided that we could have a freezer as long as it wasn't any wider than 26" with the door off so that it could get past the furnace. Since extra money is limited to us right now (stupid IRS) our only choice was to buy used and since we were so specific on size KSL wasn't working out.
We went to a used appliance store and for once luck was smiling down on us. They had one freezer that they got in that morning that happened to be 26", the lady says that they very rarely get freezers and that they go really fast, they probably won't see another freezer for 2 to 3 months.

John decided on the way home that the freezer was light enough that him and I could carry it downstairs, since I didn't want to pester anyone I agreed, but I was fearing for my life.
He got it out of the truck bed alone and once on the borrowed appliance dolly I helped push it up the stairs into the house.
Next was the scary part that I was NOT looking forward to. John held the top of the appliance dolly and I stood down the stairs holding the bottom of the fridge stabilizing it when he pushed it off the stair and onto the next. If John were to let go of the dolly, the fridge would have fallen on me and killed me dead.
Luckily I managed to live and we got the fridge down with no problem, it was easy as pie.

Getting it into the storage room and past the furnace was another task that I just wasn't able to help with. John finally had to take the door frame out and do a little demo on the 2X4's, but he managed to squish it through.
Ignore the mess, it's a storage room!


All this was done last Tuesday, but John still had to wire up an electrical plug since there was only one in the room and it wasn't even remotely close to the freezer. Last Friday he finished wiring it up and fixed the lighting so we can use a light switch for the room instead of a string pull and added another light. (he's also did SO many other projects that week!) 

We now have a working freezer and can start buying dog food meat in bulk!

No comments:

Post a Comment